Those that are paying attention might remember the multiple attempts at the National 3 Peaks Challenge a few years ago. We managed to get two of the hills done but never made it to Snowdon. Eventually Stacey and I completed the challenge within the 24 hour limit. And so some 5 years later we decided to return with Cameron and Rob to get to the top of Snowdon and lay to rest the spectre of that attempt in 2012.

We converged in Chester from all over the country. Once we were all packed in the van we headed into darkest Wales to find a suitable campsite. We ended up at Llyn Gwynant campsite just as the heavens opened. We pitched the tents in the pouring rain and headed off into Beddgelert for something to eat.


The weather was atrocious overnight with strong winds and pouring rain but, as we got up with the sun, that all slowly cleared away. We set off on the trail from the campsite to ascend Snowdon by the Watkin Path. Having never been up this way before we were surprised at the number of other people using the path until we reached Bwlch Ciliau and could see across Glaslyn to the Pyg Track and the Miners Track. They were packed with people!


We scrambled the last few hundred metres up towards the summit to find the top literally full of people. A number of organised charity walks had made the summit at the same time as us and there were marshals attempting to force a one way system to the trig point at the summit. We hung around long enough for Cameron to have his soup before heading back down via Bwlch Main and then turning along Clogwyn Du. There were a couple of places where we had to scramble before cutting down a grassy hillside and rejoining the original path near the bottom.


We were all feeling quite tired by the time we reached the campsite again but the weather was glorious. The summit had been shrouded in cloud when we were climbing towards it but the cloud lifted as we reached it and, except for a strong wind in some places, the weather had been perfect all day. We headed towards Capel Curig for our dinner and found a very nice gastro pub.


Back at the campsite I thought it would be nice to sit out in the sunshine with a drink before bed. However the Welsh weather had other ideas. Just as we got the chairs out onto the grass and sat down, the wind picked up and the rain came on again. So off to bed we went. Snowdon done again, and by a different route to make it interesting. I enjoyed myself and I quite fancy going camping and climbing another big hill soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s